Click on water to feed fish

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

A Frozen Shoulder

Tomorrow I'm off to a yoga retreat in Chiang Mai organised by a bunch of friends; it's a trip that I've been looking forward to for months (!) The last time I went on a yoga retreat was ... maybe two years ago to Canggu. That trip was nice but it was kinda expensive and Bali has become far too commercial for my taste. 

Looking back, I was already suffering from frozen shoulder (right shoulder) without even realising it. I remember my shoulder would hurt when it was moving in certain directions and it got so painful at one point I had to see a physiotherapist. Not the greatest personality I've ever met but he, after months of treatment, eventually fixed the problem. 

Then my left shoulder started to feel the same tightness and, eventually, pain ><

Being more aware this time, I knew exactly what was going on so I went for physiotherapy straightaway. But this time even that didn't help much ... and eventually the physio said I should just let the frozen shoulder run its course ... and the pain will eventually go away. So I am expecting another, maybe, six months of pain. 

Which is kinda upsetting. For a start it has totally disrupted my yoga practice. I used to be able to do reversed twisted bind (well, all sorts of binds), wheel (urdhva dhanurasana), headstand (my fav) ... I was actually quite proud of my mobile shoulders -- and now I cannot do any of that because of the pain in my left shoulder. Perhaps I was doing too much handstand practice and it really messed up both my shoulders. So no more handstand for some time -- which is fine. Yoga is more than just doing handstand.

TBH, I have not had a proper practice for a long time and even doing trikonasana is challenging. I just feel that my body is, like, shrinking up.

So in the next few days I will just be in tune with the body and let it take me to wherever I am at with my practice right now. And relax. And enjoy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment