Click on water to feed fish

Monday, February 18, 2019

Some Good News

So I had a bit of a health scare recently. 

Just before the Chinese New Year I caught a cold and had a swelling on the chest right below the collarbone. It was quite painful but the swelling soon went down but there appeared to be bone spur/ lump, which I'd never noticed before (mind you, I seldom look into the mirror so for all we know it has probably been there for ages).

Anyway, my GP recommended me to see an orthopedic surgeon so I went to this guy who drained my knee about a year ago (these doctors are on my company's medical care plan). Wish I didn't though cos without lifting a single finger he just asked me to have a X-ray and MRI (!) scan ... in case it's something serious. Like, shouldn't he at least examine my frozen shoulder, which could well be the cause? 

So that kinda freaked me out during my two-week holiday and throughout the whole CNY period (doing the scans and then waiting for the report)... finally, I received a clean bill of health today, which is a big relief (and, no, the clinic didn't even call me up to follow up). The orthopedic surgeon just told me Good News, everything is fine -- but didn't explain to me why this bone is protruding ... only said that a muscle has pushed it forward (like, what does THAT mean?) 

This was the first time I actually got this strong sense of mortality... and for a few days I felt extremely depressed. The sense of uncertainly was daunting ... and I turned to my yoga practice as a form of refuge (focusing just on the present). Let's have no illusion about this though, it was difficult.

Now that the cloud that has been hovering my head is cleared, it really does make me appreciate life more. 

And I am so glad I won't have to see this orthopedic surgeon again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment