Click on water to feed fish

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Master

When I saw the girl in the right row start doing her Cirque du Soleil routine, I knew something was not quite right. The yoga session I booked  myself into this evening was supposed to be a basic Hatha class, with this female instructor who once put me to sleep during a practice (I had no choice cos the Perfect Human Specimen is away) so when this renowned Indian master walked into the studio I was, frankly, in awe. I heard his classes are tough and I thought/feared I was about to go into another session of thigh slapping (see my earlier post Smack! Smack! Smack!).

Well, the Master's instructions were certainly very different from what I am used to; so half the time I just followed the Cirque du Soleil girl who obviously was more clued-up than me on what was going on, but it wasn't unmanageable. And in that typical Indian style of yoga training (yes, it really felt more like drilling than practising) we had to repeat the same sequence, holding each pose a bit longer. However, the Master turned out to be very humorous and charismatic in his own, stern ways. And at the end of the class, he gave us some really useful tips. And when he dismissed the class, I clapped (not sure we were supposed to do that) but I really felt I'd learnt something new tonight.

So, what I thought was a mistake turned out to be a valuable lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment