Click on water to feed fish

Sunday, April 21, 2013

David Swenson

Woke up this morning feeling sore all over as if I'd got beaten up BAD while sleeping last night. This could only mean that I've been practising Ashtanga yoga ~ again. Perhaps I'm a little, err, sadomasochism (!) but despite me swearing not to practise the Primary Series ever again (cos it's physically very demanding), I keep returning to it. Perhaps I'm addicted to the "good pain" or I just enjoy the mental and physical challenges this series poses (sorry, bad pun). 

Anyway, this weekend I've signed up an Ashtanga workshop mainly because the person leading the three-day workshop is renowned yogi/yoga instructor David Swenson. http://www.ashtanga.net/  Have to say I'd only heard of his name but never attended any of his yoga sessions so I'm intrigued and curious as to why he is "renowned" ... but a couple of minutes into his class I understood why.

David Swenson @ Pure Yoga HK

David is actually a very, very sensible and kind teacher. He wants his students to practise safely even we step onto the mat; he tells us we can modify: i.e. if we can't perform the more challenging poses (mostly ones that require extreme flexibility towards the end of the Primary Series), do NOT even attempt it cos it could lead to injuries. So if we can't bind, do something else instead though he stresses whatever we do, we should pay attention to the importance of alignment. Also, this guy is just SO funny. He begins each session by asking the class whether we have any questions - any questions - so from how to position a foot to why this woman gets sexually "activated" when she tries to, err, activate her bandha.

So far, the workshop has proved invaluable because David teaches us, methodically, how to do the jumping forward/backward & jumping through and jumping in the vinyasa (flow) ... there sure is a LOT of jumping back and forth in Ashtanga yoga and I think I'd finally mastered the jumping forward (yeah!!) But I will still have to work on my handstand cos I don't know how to "fall skilfully" yet. And I am totally clueless re: the bandha ...

This afternoon we'll be going upside down, a session that I'm greatly looking forward to!!!

PS Thanks David, I now know who to do headstand in the middle of the room :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment