Click on water to feed fish

Monday, June 9, 2014

The 8th Asia Yoga Conference

Once again, I'd decided not to take any classes during this year's AYC because the year before last, I found practising inside a carpeted hall (which, in turn, is inside this city's convention and exhibition centre) a bit weird, especially I wasn't entirely sure when the mouldy-looking carpet was last vacuumed and cleaned. @.@

Nonetheless, I've always enjoyed going to the annual event because I can pick up yoga CDs or books that are otherwise not available in local bookstores, and certainly not at a discounted price. So this year has been great because I could truly take advantage of that by buying all these set texts for the teacher training programme. The first day it was buy two books get one free and the second buy one get one free. Fantastic. So on Day Uno I bought The Bhagavad Gita (a "spiritual work that forms the cornerstone of the Hindu faith"); B.K.S Iyengar's Light on Life; and Anusara Yoga Teacher Training Manual (cos, I guess, the teacher training course instructor, Patrick Creelman, is Anusara trained). Next day, I bought the remaining set text Anatomy on Movement and, for free, David Swenson's Ashtanga Yoga ~ The Practice Manual. I really like the last book because it shows you all the modifications to "standard" Ashtanga poses (some of which are extremely difficult) so to avoid injuries. So Swenson really encourages a mindful practice, which I think is vital. 

Though the teacher training -- a 200-hour foundation course -- isn't until October, I think I will start reading the set texts now ... and maybe blog about my thoughts ... I think my doing so I may be able to remember more (and perhaps properly digest) what I'd read. Will probably start The Bhagavad Gita first before moving onto Light on Life ... it's like going back to college and it's a good thing I like reading, especially classics. 


Meanwhile, I'd recorded a demonstration by a group of students who practise at my local yoga studio, and they are quite amazing (above). They move so beautifully that, watching them makes me feel like jumping on the mat straightaway! Very inspiring. Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment