Click on water to feed fish

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Yogic Breathing

Rainy and thunderous this morning best to practise at home than trekking all the way to the studio. So decided to try out the Ashtanga sequence in David Swenson's The Practice Manual. I chose the 45-minute version (with slightly extended Surya Namaskara A and B). Even this shortened sequence is quite challenging as it has a number of hip opening poses (e.g. Upavishta Konasana or wide-leg forward fold, holding both feet..), quite impossible for me as my hips are extremely narrow.

What I find equally challenging is how to match the breaths with the movement; sometimes I find myself breathing in while doing the cobra/up dog pose, other times breathing out (it should be the former). So I can a little confused when doing the sun salutation. I'm hoping the more I practise (I should really practise a lot more at home), the more I will be in tune with my breathing. 

Including a short meditation, my session was around 45 mins though I think I rushed through a few poses cos I was sweating so much! It really is amazing how a few Surya Namaskara can heat the body up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment