Click on water to feed fish

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Game Fever

Regular followers of this blog (err, me) have commented (verbally) that I've been writing too much about the games I play lately (where is all the tech and yoga stuff?) In truth, am going through a video-game-craze phase right now (ed: the past 18 months?). There were days, no, Years, when I left my PSP console (I used to have a second generation Japanese-made edition until it got pickpocket-ed) gathering dust inside some cardboard box and let all the Final Fantasy titles passed me by. 

Then came Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, which got me back into playing my PSP quite obsessively (the last time I played for a longer period of time was probably Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core and the two Dissidia titles; oh, and maybe Gravity Rush (for PSVita), which got kinda boring after the novelty wears out). My friend is still playing TO: LUCT, which I might return to later ... 

That was followed by Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (which was okay), Persona 4: the Golden (very good but kinda short) and Uncharted the card game, which I enjoyed but is to be played with Uncharted: the Golden Abyss RPG, which I have no interest in starting (the graphics look so ugly). There were other unmemorable games (including Dynasty Warriors: Next and Hatsune Miku Project Diva f, which were fun for, like, a couple of weeks). 

Final Fantasy: Type-0 is the latest, which I'm really into it right now despite not understanding a single word. It started to get interesting (gameplay-wise) towards the end of my first playthrough and now second playthru. Despite it being in Japanese (with no English or Chinese translation), it's gripping enough to have kept me up until 2am the other night/morning (for the finale of first playthru).  There is much to explore (and I haven't even started messing around with those Summons yet) ... my next target is to get Machina this super-duper ability (which means some heavy grinding for APs) ...

The thing is, I don't think there are any interesting PSP/PSVita releases (for me, anyway) at least first half of this year (I've been monitoring their new releases table!)... and the console is quickly losing popularity (there was once a time when I saw people playing it everywhere; today, app games have taken over and people  do prefer more exciting games, like, pushing-the-cookies ...) It's a vicious circle: gamers stop playing PSP games, PSP game producers make fewer games, and more gamers desert the console.

Which is pretty sad. But for now, I will seek console (is that a pun?) in Type0 ... only I am stuck in one mission that I canNOT complete ... where are those YouTube walkthroughs when you need one?  

No comments:

Post a Comment