Click on water to feed fish

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Blue Jasmine


This film directed by Woody Allen is so far the best Oscars contender (Cate Blanchett for best actress, I think) I saw this year. Let's go through the others that I didn't find as engaging: American Hustle (I just don't get this one), Captain Phillips, 12 Years a Slave, Gravity (okay, this one not too bad), Her and August: Osage County (talk about OTT acting). I have yet to see Philomena, which I'm sure I'll like (Dame Judi!) And these movies are such downers. Do they reflect the mood of the world today?

Anyway, back to Blue Jasmine, I really like the way the protagonist is (sympathetically) portrayed in this riches to rags black comedy; Blanchett is v v v v good in this but I couldn't but keep noticing her botox-ed lips! ... Her Jasmine is kinda complex ... and real (hence she plays her role from so many different angles).  I have actually come across a few women who are like her; who totally lives in a world of their own ~ but who can blame them because that is just the way they are? Jasmine is so *minor spoiler there* delusional that even in total rage she'd still keep up appearances. Her relationship with the sister is also intriguing ~ though here is where I find things not as realistic. And one particular technical detail I thought is quite clever is whenever there is moment of deceit, we get closeups of the characters as if Allen is saying: no better how closely you look, you can never see past their lies. The film is also about vanity, hypocrisy and simple human nature. All in all, I think this is a moving story (despite the fact none of the characters are really that likable) on how we can be so caught up by desires and projected dreams that we'd do whatever to hold onto them... 

No comments:

Post a Comment