Click on water to feed fish

Friday, January 3, 2014

The Moment

In yoga practice, we are asked to focus on the moment, the present; not dwelling on the past and not to worry about the future. But we humans have evolved in such a way most of the time we tend not to dwell in the present (we read books, play video games, watch TV or movies etc whereas animals do tend to live the moment, like my pet dogs!) Most of time we want to escape from it (hence the above activities). The present is v real, sometimes painfully so. Today I was walking down the street and I saw this elderly lady who obviously suffers from a severe form of dementia, there and then, talking to herself. I was living in the moment and my heart sinks ... in fact, I tend to do that whenever I see someone who has lost their mind. I often wonder why have they'd gone mad and who is looking them ... their family? Some institution? Sometimes, the reality is very hard for people to accept and cope with, hence we have invented many forms of escapism.

The moment or the present, I think is a bit overrated. When you are in the moment, then what? Sure, whenever I'm in the moment, I tend see things more lucidly and clearly but what does that mean? Does it mean I can also find answers to questions? I don't think so...

No comments:

Post a Comment